Welcome to the Dragun's Den where you can find anything you want to know about one of the oldest and by my opinion funnest types to play out there. As you all know there are different ways to run Dragons and the most popular would be:
Chaos Drags, Hieratic builds, Hopeless and Disaster dragon. All of which have subcategories and really A LOT of variants.
The focus in this first text will be on my favorite type of deck which is DISASTER DRAGON, a control and toolbox based deck that was heavily hit in this format with the limiting of Red-eyes Darkness Metal Dragon(REDM) and banning of Future Fusion, and when most people pronounced the deck dead, Dragon lovers like myself have found ways to still run it and even compete with the current meta with some combinations and additions. I will not go into how Disaster was run before this format, as it is of no value now. In this part 1 i will just give you a quick overview what the main cards are that you will run in any build, and go into detail in my next articles. You have the decks and variants that i run in the poll so feel free to vote if you would like to know more about some of them, with Hieratic LaDD Disaster being the most competitive and currently my main Dragon variant.
The main cards needed used in any Disaster Dragon deck are:
- REDM - pretty self-explanatory, its a 2800 beater that is easy to Special Summon and has a broken effect that can SS a almost any Dragon-type monsters from the grave or hand
- Delta flyer - Its a lvl 3 tuner with a handy effect to increase the level of any other monster on the field by 1. It gives you the opportunity to do an easy lvl 8 sync summon with another lvl 4 monster which comes really handy, and if you chose to run disaster you will see that a REDM + Sturdust Dragon field doesn't lose very often.
- Masked Dragon - The searcher of the deck. If it is destroyed by battle it lets you Special Summon a 1500 or less atk Dragon from your deck. The possible targets being Delta Flyer, Exploder Dragon, Divine Dragon Apocralyph or Totem Dragon depending on the build
- Exploder Dragon - I advise running 1 of these in any Disaster Build cause his effect comes really handy against much of the boss monsters you will be playing against.
- Dragon's Ravine - This is the card that made Disaster Dragon still playable as it lets you dump dragons to grave to be ssed by REDM or some other means. It has a lot of uses and combos which depend on the kind of Disaster variant you are running.
Other popular choices include: Divine Dragon Apocralyph, Koa'ki Meiru Drago, Totem Dragon(goes with Light and Darkness Dragon), Prime Material Dragon, White-Night Dragon, Galaxy-Eyes Photon Dragon, King Dragun. I leave you to look into all of these yourselves and if you have any questions ask here or on the chat.